We are offering Medically Speaking: Accent Modification for the Medical Profession as well as our enriched version of the Compton Pronouncing English as a Second Language (P-ESL) Program. These basic level programs are described in detail below. We begin with a free telephone consultation followed by a formal information session and screening test held in our office.
We also offer two additional specialized programs: Speak Standard, Too! by Mary I. Berger and the Mastering Effective English Communication (MEEC) program from LDS Associates.
- Speak Standard, Too! is a program for Americans who are regional speakers of English and wish to “code switch” from their dialect patterns to standard business English in corporate settings.
- MEEC is an advanced program with three components addressing intonation, consonant and vowel variations. Enrollment in this program at Triangle Speech Services is by recommendation of the instructors and is for clients who have successfully completed the P-ESL program.
- We also offer Targeted Coaching to graduates of any of our tutorials. Clients make individual appointments as needed to work on specific presentations or other work-related speaking tasks, bring two copies of their text or notes and their digital recorder and pay on a per-session basis.
See “Steps to Success” below.
Medically Speaking: Accent Modification for the Medical Profession
by Lynda Katz Wilner, M.S. CCC-SLP of “Successfully Speaking”
- The Inventory: an assessment designed to be administered by a speech-language pathologist.
- Client manual
- Four audio CDs
- Content areas: (1) Intonation, (2) Pronunciation and (3) Idiomatic Expressions and American Slang
- All content including the testing and training materials is medically oriented and appropriate for training foreign born physicians, nurses and others who work in medical settings.
Pronouncing English as a Second Language (P-ESL)
By Arthur J. Compton Ph.D. CCC-SLP
- Includes practice with client’s work related materials
- Stresses technical vocabulary, presentation skills and carry-over practice activities to transfer skills to actual work and social speaking situations
- Triangle Speech Services enriches the P-ESL Program with our own units on Repairing Conversational Breakdowns, practice strategies for learning difficult sounds, explicit teaching of intonation patterns and a structured program to promote awareness and self-correction to carryover correct speech patterns to actual conversation.
Steps to Success
Step 1.We begin with a free telephone consultation.
Step 2. An information session is held to demonstrate the materials and conduct two brief accent screening tests.
Step 3. A comprehensive individual evaluation which assesses accent features including intonation as well as grammar, understanding of idioms and word knowledge, is digitally recorded and analyzed. This is administered again as a post test. We provide written initial and final reports and before/after digital sound fiiles. An individualized curriculum is developed from the results of this evaluation.
Step 4. The client purchases materials for the appropriate program.
Step 5. We provide an individual, customized tutorial.